Wednesday, January 05, 2005

Why?

That's certainly a question I find myself asking a lot these days. This time I'm asking "why" with regards to the statements I keep seeing about the tsunami disaster. Why do so many of the statements seem to indicate that we consider the tsunami primarily as something like a great business opportunity for the United States? If we give money to these countries to aid the relief effort, the image of the United State will be helped. I've even seen editorials that demand that the US give money only if the receiving countries offer support to US foreign policy, particularly in Iraq. Perhaps even more disturbingly to me, I've seen so much gloating from people such as Bill O'Reilly saying that Americans are the most wonderful and generous people on earth (which isn't true anyway but shouldn't be bragged about if it was). As usual, pride has taken over. Why can't we give of our means because others need what we have and not give because Americans want to rehabilitate their images? Why can't we give and not expect anything in return? Why can't we give and not gloat about it afterward?

Early in the twentieth century, the London Times asked for essays on the topic "What's Wrong with the World?" G.K. Chesterton, with his usual wit and accuracy replied,

Dear Sirs:
I am.
Sincerely yours,
G.K. Chesterton

I think it would be nice if we could realize that Chesterton's answer is true for each of us. We say this often enough in our churches. It would be nice if we finally heard this message and resultingly began to live with the humility that such a message calls for. I don't know that living with such humility would necessarily help our images. But image, contrary to our culture's perceptions, isn't everything. And living with such humility may help us to stop caring so much about personal self interest and help us to care for our neighbors.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home