Thursday, January 06, 2005

New Year's Resolutions #2,3,4,5

This resolution's better than my first one. I've made some progress on my spiritual life in the last couple years, and this year I want to make more. Primarily, I need to pray more. For years, I've found prayer extremely intimidating. That may sound silly, but I often feel a physical reaction against praying. Talking to God intimidates me (of course, so does just living life sometimes), and I need to work through that. I've also determined to fast for one day a week, and the money saved from fasting for a day I will donate somewhere. I've found in fasting a good way to shift focus from myself. Doing so helps to focus on both those people who don't have meals (though this is clearly an artificial way to relate-I do have the option of a meal) and on God. I think I'll also do lent for the first time this year, though I'm not sure yet what I will do for lent. I should also add Bible reading. I always find that I don't do this enough. Last Thanksgiving, I learned more about the book of Ecclesiastes than I had ever known before when I had to study the book for a paper I was writing. I should have to wait until school forces me to look that deeply at a book. I should take the time to do it myself. Ok, so praying, fasting, and reading the Bible. That'll do for now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home