Friday, November 11, 2005

Quite a Day

Today was quite a day. I can't tell you all the details here in this public forum, but I definitely did something I had never planned to do.

You see, we had this meeting here in the department concerning the departmental split that's going down. Of course, I'm quite passionate about it, since my literature and creative writing friends among the grad students and the faculty are getting screwed. Anyway, so we had this meeting where our weasely department chair was going to explain his decision. He talked, and we graduate students tore him apart. His ideas were illogical, and we showed it. His actions were unethical, and we showed it. Of course, none of it mattered. His decision's made, and he's blind as to what they mean. So it goes.

I played a small part in the discussion, and that's what surprised me. The chair had said a load of crap about his actions helping the literature, creative writing, and linguistics people clarify their goals as a department. Of course, it was crap. So, I spoke up finally in the meeting, in front of a lot of people. I said something about how his actions contradicted his BS by claiming that he was doing this largely for the good of the literature, creative writing, and linguistics people at the same time he was keeping all of his negotiations and maneuvers in secret from them. I said to him that this contradiction "seems to indicate in you a lack of sincerity--as always."

That's what surprised me. I not only spoke in a large departmental meeting in front of a lot of colleagues and several important people, I also told the chair of my department that he lacks integrity. We'll see if I get that job I need next semester from the department.

Yeah, my computer crashed also. It was quite a day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home