Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Ethics Suck Sometimes

I don’t like looking for jobs. The interviewing process is, for the most part, degrading. Most of the employers really seem to feel almost no obligation to treat the potential employees with dignity or courtesy. That’s how it’s been this summer on my job hunt, at least.

Recently, the job hunt has gotten me into a bit of a quandary. Last week, on Monday, I interviewed for two jobs. One is the job I’ve wanted since I applied for it in April. The employer (Employer #1), however, is notoriously slow at hiring, and the hiring committee had gone on a series of vacations, and they hadn’t gotten around to interviewing until mid-June. It’s the job I’ve wanted, though, tutoring disadvantaged college students. Since that interview was going to be so late coming, I had been applying for other jobs. After all, if I didn’t end up with the main job I wanted—which was the likelihood—that would be awfully late to wait in the summer to get a job. One of the other jobs I’d applied for (Employer #2) ended up with the interview on Monday also. So, I went to one and then to the other. The second job was not nearly as appealing as the other, though the people there seemed very nice.

As it happened, though, the second, less-appealing job, was offered to me on Tuesday, the day after the interview. I stalled on making a decision so that I could hear from Employer #1. Employer #2 gave me a week, which seemed like it would be fine since Employer #1 had said they would have their decision by Thursday or Friday. They didn’t have a decision, however, by Thursday or Friday. Instead, I got an email Sunday saying that I was one of their three finalists and that they were going to take another couple of weeks to make their final decision. Monday, I called Employer #1 and told them of my situation; they said they’d call me back on Tuesday. I called Employer #2 and asked for another day (which was granted). Then, Employer #1 called back (late on Monday) to say they might have a decision by Wednesday after all; they were speeding things up. So today, Tuesday, I called Employer #2 to ask for one more day to make a decision.

This really irritated Employer #2. If I wait until tomorrow, he more than implied, that position may be gone. If I don’t wait until tomorrow, I won’t get a shot at the job I really want.

I’m not angry at Employer #2. He needs to fill the spot, and it’s obvious I prefer the other job. I do wish that Employer #1 hadn’t taken more than two months to do anything on that position.

So why do ethics suck? Basically, there is an easy way out of my whole dilemma, and it’s the option most people have told me to take. That is, take the job offered by Employer #2, and if Employer #1 offers me the job, skip out on my contract. That’s what everybody does, I’ve been told multiple times. It makes sense. It is the only way I could make sure to have a job at the end of this ordeal and also have a shot at the job I want. I actually did something like it before, sort of, though it wasn’t a contract job (and I felt really horrible later). It doesn’t feel right, though, to commit myself to a job, only to turn it down soon thereafter. So I’m left with the choice of taking a job I’d rather not have (though it’s better than most) and giving up my chance at the job I want or continuing to stall and take a chance on not ending up with a job at all. I’m pretty sure that no matter how everything ends up, I’m not going to be happy about how things came about.

I guess I should have stayed in grad school.

3 Comments:

At 9:39 PM, Blogger Will Raz said...

As much as I think you should do the whole skip out on the contract choice. I don't see you doing it. If you did do it we would never hear the end of it! So just wait, like I know your going to, and be happy you didn't do something that will make you feel horrible in the end. So what if "Employer 2" is irritated! You cant really understand what he is saying half the time anyway. Most likely if he does try to hire someone else they won't know that it happened. Good luck and don't settle for second best!

 
At 10:25 PM, Blogger KM said...

If I might add to your Greek Chorus, John, I think you're going to do exactly what will allow you to maintain eye contact with yourself when you wake up every morning... whichever of the two options that is.
Have to add, though, that each employer's response to your honesty up to this point is telling you as much about them as your honesty has told them about you. It doesn't make them "bad people" but at least you're getting to see who you're dealing with.

 
At 11:03 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey John,
You're right about employers - they don't treat potential employees with respect and consideration sometimes. When I was doing admin support jobs, it was really bad - that's the lowest job on the corporate ladder and employers don't seem to realize that without admin support, they're in deep trouble :D.

For what it's worth, I think you made the right decision all around. It's true that lots of people in your position would have taken Job 2 and skipped out if Job 1 gave them an offer, but not necessarily out of ethics, but simply out of survival (i.e., they're late with rent/bills, they need a job, any job, to bring in at least some money, even if it's not what they wanted). Thank God I never had to be put in that position (because I have generous parents who were willing to loan me money until I got a job :D) but if I had, I probably would have caved in and done it, even though, like you, I hate the idea.

In the end, even if it is a matter of survival, it's just a job and not even a career-making one at that - so you have a right to wait for the one you want!

Tam

 

Post a Comment

<< Home