Friday, August 26, 2005

Who was it that said that we humans are most true to ourselves when we're being inconsistant? Was is Oscar Wilde?

Whomever it was probably pretty close to right, though. And I am certainly not above being inconsistent.

That's why I'm returning to the subject of my rants yesterday when I complained about Tech's policy limiting theological thought in the classroom. Today, I'm not totally sure I was right.

You see, there's a small part of me that rejoices that our secular academies would rather not worry about having Christian thought in our classrooms. That may be sign of some moral growth in the church or at least a sign that things are falling into place for the church.

Because, you see, the church married Caesar about seventeen hundred years ago, and things haven't always been pretty since. And, of course, Caesar turned out to be rather a tyrannical hubby. Despite all the abuse this marriage has caused us, though, we've remained married all these years. I guess we thought it'd be good for the kids. It was in ways. The children have prospered. There's a whole lot of 'em, and they seem to be healthy and strong. They seem to have forgotten who their real father was though.

Things have changed though. Caesar may be getting tired of using us, and he's trying to kick us out. That's why part of me sees something good working in the implicit discrimination present in academia. If we finally leave Caesar, we can go back to our first love. I bet he'll take us back.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home