Tuesday, November 15, 2005

Funny Freshmen

I have this student. She started emailing me about Thursday last week about trying to meet me in my office. My normal office hours conflict with her class and practice times (she's a cheerleader), and she wanted to "talk over her test." I thought that that was odd, since I don't give tests in my class, only essays. Still, I thought she had just accidentally put "test" instead of "paper," and I started responding, trying to work out a time when she could come in. During one of the earlier emails in the string of emails that followed, my student asked where my office was, and I told her that it was in the English Building, room 413. All of these emails were sent to my class email account also--pierce1301, as in ENGL 1301, the course I (Mr. Pierce) teach. After about six or so emails, we worked out a time.

It's pretty easy to see where this is going. She comes in to my office today, and the moment she steps in the door, she exclaims, "You're not my psychology professor!!!" The poor thing. She had forgotten her teacher's names (that shows how exciting a professor I've been) and had been exchanging emails with the wrong professor. And she had missed all the clear signs that I was her English professor rather than her psychology professor.

Ah Freshman, I love'm.

By the way, she's no dummy, just a bit of a ditz. She has an A in the course.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home