Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Impressions of Lectureship

It’s going great. Mark Love (who’s performing Kalyn and BJ’s wedding) puts on a great show. I loved Lectureship when I went to school here (though I hated having to skip class to go to them), and it’s nice getting to experience all of it now. I’ve a couple of potential blog posts bouncing around in may head that have been sparked by the lectures. They may come out sometime. We’ll see.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The quote of the week so far (or a close approximation of that quotation at least):

“My homosexual brother and I often visit gay bars together.” – John Mark Hicks

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The worst moment of Lectureship so far:

When several people sitting in front of me walked out of the lecture after Hicks’s comment. Hicks (who I think may be kin to me some way) said this in a discussion on how purity metaphors have been ill-used in our tradition (Church of Christ), to the point that people become physically disgusted at the mention of certain sins and, as a result, we have not allowed themselves to display Christ’s incarnational love toward the marginalized in our society. It was a great lecture, and I was saddened that some people wouldn’t even hear the lecture out.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The most constant annoyance:

So far, I’ve attended eight classes and three theme speeches. In each of these eleven talks, at least one cell phone has gone off. On the first night, Dr. Money got to the rhetorical flourish at the end of the big speech, and a cell phone went off and sort of ruined what was really an important moment.

If I ever teach a college class again, I’m going to become a one of those cell-phone Nazis who kicks the student out of the class when their cell-phone goes off. I was nice to the students last semester, but now, I’ve decided, it’s a lesson people have to learn.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The second best quote so far (once again, an approximation of that quotation):

“It always interests me at how many sorts of Bibles there are. There’s the Student’s Study Bible, the Businessman’s Study Bible, the Baby-Boomer Woman’s Daily Devotional Bible, and so many others. I keep hope that some really intrepid publisher will come out with a Bible for me, the Study Bible for the Clinically Depressed.” ---Steve Weathers (of course)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home