Saturday, December 16, 2006

The Fifty Novels I'd Sort of Like to Read in the Next Few Years or So (Let Me Know If You've Read Any and They're Terrible).

1. Never Let Me Go – Kazuo Ishiguro*

2. Arthur and George – Julian Barnes

3. Offshore – Penelope Lively

4. The Secret River – Kate Grenville

5. The Echo Maker – Richard Powers

6. Confederates – Thomas Keneally

7. Cat’s Eye – Margaret Atwood

8. Atonement – Ian McEwan

9. Three Cheers for the Paraclete – Thomas Keneally

10. The World According to Garp – John Irving

11. A Prayer for Owen Meany – John Irving*

12. Middlesex – Jeffrey Eugenides

13. The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay – Michael Chabon

14. On the Road – Jack Kerouac

15. Suite Francaise - Irene Nemirovsky

16. A Long Way Down – Nick Hornby

17. Saturday - Ian McEwan

18. The Kite Runner - Khaled Hosseini*

19. The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao - Junot Diaz

20. The Thirteenth Tale – Diane Setterfield*

21. Everything is Illuminated – Jonathan Safran Foer*

22. Reluctant Prophets and Clueless Disciples – Bob Darden

23. Bee Season – Myla Goldberg

24. The Doctor’s Wife – Brian Moore

25. Precious Bane – Mary Webb

26. March – Geraldine Brooks

27. Winter’s Tale – Mark Helprin

28. Last Orders – Graham Swift

29. Slapstick – Kurt Vonnegut

30. The Baron in the Trees – Italo Calvino

31. Lying Awake – Mark Salzman

32. Coyote Blue – Christopher Moore*

33. Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close – Jonathan Safran Foer*

34. Haroun and the Sea of Stories – Salman Rushdie*

36. The War of the End of the World – Mario Vargas Llosa

37. Quarantine – Jim Crace

38. The Ball and the Cross - G.K. Chesterton

39. The Last Voyage of Somebody the Sailor – John Barth

40. Independent People – Halldor Laxness

41. An Artist of the Floating World – Kazuo Ishiguro

42. The Samurai – Shusaku Endo

43. The Diary of a Country Priest – Georges Bernanos

44. Ahab’s Wife – Sena Jeter Naslund

45. Foucault’s Pendulum – Umberto Eco

46. The Master and Margarita – Mikhail Bulgakov

47. Love in the Ruins – Walker Percy

48. Jayber Crow – Wendell Berry

49. Brendan – Frederick Buechner

50. The Last Report on the Miracles at Little No Horse – Louise Erdrich

Labels:

3 Comments:

At 11:39 PM, Blogger Rehkmira said...

Quarantine is great. Put it at the top of your list unless you want to read it during Lent. Absolutely fantastic book. The language is harsh and ugly to suit the characters, and decidedly less so when it's called for. It's a gritty novel, and all the better for it. The premise is one to ponder, too.

Sorry for commenting something opposite the request in the title. But do bump this one up.

Mira

 
At 11:11 AM, Blogger Kayla said...

I haven't read many of them, but I've been intending to. Maybe now that I've graduated I'll have time. I have read The Kite Runner, and it was excellent. I wouldn't recommend it for right around Christmas, though; it's pretty depressing. I loaned it to Brittany, but you can borrow it after her. I also own Everything is Illuminated. I haven't read it yet, but feel free to borrow it. Btw, I still have your leather folder. I got my own for graduation, so I'll be returning it soon.

 
At 3:05 PM, Blogger John Pierce said...

'Mira,
Reading Quarantine over Lent is a great idea. I think I'll do it then.

Kayla,
I actually got Everything is Illuminated for Christmas. I'm hoping to get to it soon. I hope the folder helped you to get the job (congrats on the new job, by the way, and also on graduating).

 

Post a Comment

<< Home