Sunday, December 03, 2006

It's difficult to know what people need. That's the hard thing.

One of my students. Definitely missed too many classes to pass the course. I informed this student of the fact.

And he pleaded. He made a good case; it's been a hard time.

I saw two things, I guess. This student needed both (1) some sort of reasonable limit and (2) a break in this life. He needed those to come together. My power was limited though. I couldn't give both.

Typically, my rule is "when there is doubt, show mercy."

I didn't this time though, and I guess I'll never see how things turn out in the end.

1 Comments:

At 11:55 AM, Blogger Rehkmira said...

I like your rule. May adopt it.

I too have students in situations where really both things are needed. Usually I just let the "system" take care of it and ease my conscience that way. But sometimes, sometimes I think about them well into the break, and with some regret.

Next time I teach, there will be no system to do my dirty work. Your rule will come in handy then, as with most things in life.

'Mira

 

Post a Comment

<< Home