Monday, August 11, 2008

Insanity Runs In My Family

It really does, and I do seem to take after the crazier sides of the family. So it goes.

Anyway, I got a bit of confirmation about my family's mental quirkiness yesterday while visiting my parents.

We were eating asparagus at supper, and Dad said, "Have you ever noticed that asparagus makes your urine smell awfully funny? It happens almost immediately. You eat it and go straight in there, and it ends up smelling funny right away."

Mom: "He's right. That's true."

Me (with a rather stunned look on my face at our dinner conversation--we usually talk about who has died recently): "Uhm. I don't believe you. And how did y'all learn this?"

Dad: "Well, I went pee a few times after eating asparagus, and I noticed it stinking, and..."

Mom: "...he came out and mentioned it to me, and I had noticed it myself, and we put it all together."

Me: "And these are the genes I have."

Later, I called Kalyn (my sister) to tell her about how close we were to having to put both Mom and Dad in a nursing home, and her response shocked me a little.

Kalyn: "They're right. Me and BJ talk about it all the time."

She was serious.

How did I come from this bunch and still turn out so normal?

Anyway, if you're curious, when I went pee after that phone conversation, I did notice that the urine smelled, but you know, I'm not sure how different it smelled from normal urine. I think they're all crazy.

Labels:

3 Comments:

At 10:19 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

They are right John. It does smell different. I was curious also and recently read that Asparagus is a Kidney cleaner hence the strange smell. It is normal and supposedly a very good thing. (No Martha Stewart pun intended). I really enjoy your blog. Emerald's Mom

 
At 6:57 PM, Blogger Emily said...

Yeah I've had quite a few dinner conversations about stinky asparagus pee... it's quite intriguing really. I did a little research a few months ago myself, and although no one's entirely sure why it happens, it's most widely believed that there is a gene some people have and some people don't affecting one's ability to detect the scent. So in other words, everyone's asparagus pee stinks, but not everyone can smell it.

 
At 9:31 PM, Blogger John Pierce said...

Wow. Both of these comments cracked me up.

I'm dying to eat some more asparagus so that I can test my pee and my nose and then join in the conversation that everyone else in the world has evidently always been privy to (though by the time I get there, I'm betting you all will have moved on to talking about how artichokes makes you sweat taste or something).

 

Post a Comment

<< Home