Tuesday, January 27, 2009

The Pierce Curse Strikes Again

Yesterday at school, we teachers had all heard reports of possible bad weather today. As a result, we went to bed with a prayer that regularly graces the lips of West Texas teachers.

“Oh Lord, I am tired, and my students are stupid. Oh yes, and we happen to need rain again, too. So please, if it be thy will, I know you can address two of those needs with one big hail storm so that we can have a late school start. Forgive our students. Amen.”

The prayer was answered last night, and so the phone-tree kicked in so that everyone could know that school wouldn’t begin until 10:00 and that we could sleep late. I got the call at about ten till six, and immediately called the teacher I was assigned to call. I already had her programmed into my phone for just such a situation so that I could quickly get back to sleep and enjoy those extra needed hours.

Unfortunately, she didn’t have her phone tree printed out, so she didn’t know who to call. I got out of bed and found mine and gave her all of the information. That was painful but didn’t take too long. I nestled into bed quickly.

And the phone ring. The next teacher in the phone tree didn’t have hers either and had been told that I had mine, so she called me back to see who needed called. I got up and gave her the information and got back in bed.

And then the phone rang again. It was the next teacher in the phone tree wondering who he needed to call (evidently, everyone has my number). He was the end of the line, and so I told him so and got back into bed.

And then the phone rang again. This time it was Dad. He was asking me how the weather was. Did we have to wake up and go to school today?

All told, I got an extra twelve minutes of sleep this morning, though that twelve minutes was broken up by five phone calls. Such is life.

5 Comments:

At 5:57 PM, Blogger Kalyn Gensic said...

*lots and lots of laughter at your pain*

 
At 6:07 PM, Blogger John Pierce said...

That's what it's there for.

 
At 6:24 PM, Blogger John Pierce said...

*Disclaimer* My parents read the post and called up worried about the post (ask Kalyn why). Just to be clear (and make them happier), I don't really think my students are stupid. I'm attempting to be funny is all. It's quite clear that I'm stupid.

 
At 10:45 AM, Blogger Kayla said...

Haha! I became a believer in the Pierce curse yesterday, and I don't think it only affects the males. Case in point: Kalyn moves to Kentucky, and it gets hit by a devastating ice storm. I live four hours north of her and nothing but beautiful, fluffy snow. I told her yesterday, "It has to be the Pierce curse!" and she told me to come read your blog and comment.

 
At 10:30 PM, Blogger John Pierce said...

That's hilarious Kayla, and you know what else if funny. That's the first thing I said to Kalyn when she told me about the storm. I just started laughing, especially when she was saying that her Kentucky friends had never seen anything like it. I told Kalyn that they better get used to it as long as she's living there.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home