Sunday, July 12, 2009

We Pierce's don't always think about what we're saying.

I spent most of the last couple of weeks in Menard, and my father, as is usual, cracked me up.

One evening, we had taken an elderly woman from the church out to eat (or, really, she took us out to eat, I guess).

Anyway, the occasion for the meal was that this older woman's two cats had recently died, and Dad had made a couple of grave markers for them (two concrete tiles with the named written on them with a sharpy). The woman was so touched that she insisted on taking us out to eat.

So, after it was over, she began to thank Dad again for the grave markers. She missed those two cats, and that had meant a lot to her. And Dad was trying to be very sympathetic:

"I know that must be horrible. I can't imagine losing Abbey (Mom and Dad's beloved cat). I think losing her would be just about as bad as losing a child."

I was, of course, sitting in the back seat, and I yelled, "Thanks Dad."

It was really the next day before he realized what he'd said. He didn't mean it. If anyone's wondering where I acquired my mouth, though, there's no need to look far.

1 Comments:

At 12:58 PM, Anonymous Anstance Tamplin said...

John:

Because you’re a fan of Phantom of the Opera, I wanted to let you know that today Straight Up Press published my eighth novel: My Phantom – The Memoir of Christine Daaé.
“Gaston Leroux was wrong about many things. The falling chandelier. The deaths of Joseph Buquet and Philippe de Chagny. Most of all, the opera ghost, who was not a terrifying monster but a mesmerizing man….”
Thus begins the memoir of Christine Daaé, the gifted soprano immortalized in Gaston Leroux’s classic The Phantom of the Opera. In My Phantom Christine reveals the truth behind an enduring legend, telling the stories of a talented orphan struggling toward stardom and a throwaway boy determined to conquer opera’s greatest stage.
My Phantom chronicles the collaboration of two lonely people – a musical master and his exceptional student – who rescue each other from solitude as they strive to reach the pinnacle of their art and of the love triangle that destines one to remain forever alone.
Rich with details of the opera and the ballet, the memoir unfolds in the most intriguing opera house in the world. Outside lies Belle Époque Paris, where Impressionists form the vanguard of the beautiful era’s freewheeling and innovative spirit, and opera singers are the first global superstars. Café society has been born, and in the salons of the rich and the bistros of the artistic the emphasis is on pleasure and the talk is all about art and music and literature.
Christine and her lovers – the mysterious Phantom and the aristocrat Raoul – personify the élan of a fascinating and tumultuous era whose artistic ferment shapes their lives forever.
I’ve written My Phantom under a pseudonym to test the latest innovations in print-on-demand and ebook manufacturing and Internet-only sales and promotion. Trade-paperback and Kindle editions of the novel are available exclusively at Amazon.com, and you can find out more about the story – and read the first chapter – at MyPhantomTheMemoir.com.

Sincerely yours,
Anstance Tamplin
Anstance@MyPhantomTheMemoir.com

 

Post a Comment

<< Home