Wednesday, January 02, 2013

My sister has hooked me back into doing a blog post this year with something I can’t resist--a book list. She is reading 20 books from 20 different categories and was wondering if I’d do it with her. I looked at her list and decided that I probably could, with a couple of small changes.

Here’s my challenge, with some explanations.

1. Theology - I usually read a pretty good bit in this category, but I didn’t much last year. Dr. Beck does has a new book coming out, though, so this won’t be difficult to get to.

2. Pulitzer Prize Winner - I’m actually going to try to read five of these in total, like I did last year, so that I can gain some ground on my goal of reading them all.

3. Mystery - This one’s no prob.

4. Thriller - I’ve been hooked on Graham Greene books lately, so I’ll just read one of them.

5. Trashy Romance - This may be the year to finally take a stab at Gone With the Wind.

6. A Vampire Book - I wouldn’t normally go for this, but Christopher Moore has some vampire books that I’ve never read yet.

7. Newbery Prize Winner - This is another of the lists that I have a long-term goal of completing.

8. A book that has or is being made into a movie - I will finally get to watch one of the movies on my long list of “movies I don’t want to watch until I’ve read the book.”

9. A Collection of Poetry - I’ve got a couple of new ones sitting around.

10. A Shakespeare Play - I may finally read MacBeth, like the rest of the world.

11. Biography/Memoir - I think Kalyn’s going to make me read Hauerwas’s Hannah’s Child.

12. Comedy - Moore’s vampire books are a trilogy.

13. British Classic - Ok.

14. Popular History Book - I substituted this one for Kalyn’s Doris Kearns Goodwin book. I’ve already got one in progress.

 15. Sir Walter Scott - Kalyn’s reading an Agatha Christie novel, since she’s always wanted to but never has. I’m reading a Sir Walter Scott novel for the same reason.

16. Texas Books - I’ve been trying to read a lot more of these the last few years. I should read at least five.

17. Swashbuckler - The favorite novels of my childhood and teen years were very often swashbucklers like The Prisoner of Zenda, Scaramouche, and The Scarlet Pimpernel. I still have a few of them, though,

18. The Bible - I’m only fudging slightly on this. I’ve got the J.B. Phillips translation of the New Testament in progress, and that will count for me.

19. SciFi or Fantasy - I do need to reread The Hobbit soon.

20. Graphic Novel/Comics - Mom bought me a classic Donald Duck graphic novel, I kid you not.

21. Popular Contemporary Novel - In progress.

22. Modern Library 100 Novel - The final list that I hope to finish eventually.

23. Christmas Book - I read at least one every year.

24. Education Book - I’m taking a class, so I might as well get some credit for the tons of books I’m going to read for it this year.

25. Contemporary Children’s Book - I’ve got a project going in which I hope to finish several of these.

1 Comments:

At 10:00 AM, Blogger Kalyn Gensic said...

BJ just finished reading the Genesis graphic novel, and he loved it. He said that it was really nice reading Genesis in a different way, especially since he's probably read Genesis about a hundred times. He also said he had never realized just exactly how much sex was in Genesis until he read it with pictures (haha).

 

Post a Comment

<< Home