Saturday, January 08, 2005

Epiphany?

Tomorrow morning I'm driving back to Lubbock, a rebeginning of grad school. I think those times when your ending something (this time another of my breaks at home) when you have the epiphanies that mean something later on. I wonder if I had one tonight. It wasn't any great philosophical breakthrough or spiritual revelation (I think). I was just at the candlelight ceremony for Kayla's crysalis, and everyone was singing and clapping and shouting and dancing (of course but me--I'm still a reserved Church of Christ kid even if I do like being in places like that and seeing others act without reserve). And then there was a really peaceful moment when the band was playing "Sanctuary" and I looked up and this sixtyish couple was sitting back to back with their eyes closed singing (it was about the sweetest thing I've ever seen), and it was a really peaceful moment. Anyway, it struck me, "I want to be a preacher." I meant it, at least for a moment. And I still think that way tonight. I liked what was happening in that building tonight, and I didn't just want to be a part of it (I already was). I wanted to help create it. Being a preacher is something I've considered for a while, though the thought scares me to death. I've heard too many bad preachers, and I've been extremely critical of them. I don't know if I can live up to the standard I've already set in my mind for a preacher. I also don't know if anybody would actually listen to me. It just seems like a really hard life. Of course, that's why we have such a crisis in the churches at the moment. People are scared because it's a hard life. Anyway, I don't know if I'm going to follow up on that impulse of tonight, but now I've got to consider it strongly and really be searching myself to determine if that's really what I want to do. I do have some time. I believe that this MA in English will be just about the best training I can receive for whatever career I settle on, and so, I have a while to consider this idea. It was a strong impulse tonight however, and it was an impulse that may have come from God. I'm going to have to start listening quite a bit harder.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home