Friday, March 18, 2005

Vermont!!!!!!! Bucknell!!!!!!

A lot of people think it odd that I like sports as much as I do. Really, I'm in grad school for English, and I take time out of everyday, no matter how busy I am, to watch two shows: PTI and Around the Horn. And of course, my favorite time of the year is March Madness. I love the underdogs. I think I do because I'm a masochist. I'm a person who lives in Texas and still chooses to be a die-hard Cubs fan. Anyway, I love March Madness because it's one time when the underdog gets in the spotlight. It's true that the big schools ultimately exploit those little schools because the midmajor/major matchup pulls in the viewers before dropping the underdogs that never had much of a chance. But they do, at least, have a chance, and the players are all suckers who wouldn't have it any other way, and I'm a sucker who devotes a couple of weeks each spring on the verge of having a breakdown while I root for these little schools to pull it off. And of course, sometimes they do, and it's so worth it. Vermont and Bucknell won tonight. Vermont was my choice coming into the tournament. ESPN did a little documentary on them, and I've seen them play several times. I love their coach, and I love how they play. It was exciting. Even my parents, normally totally apathetic toward sports, were into it. And when Vermont's point guard hit a forty foot three pointer (this would have been one of the all-time stupidest shots had it not fallen), we all were screaming (except Dad and Abby, but they were happy). And the Bucknell game was awesome, too. I've never been more than fifty miles east of the Mississippi, but these are currently my two favorite teams. I'm attached to them. And I can't wait until Sunday when they both play again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home