Sunday, March 06, 2005

A Good Weekend

I've had a good weekend. This is for three reasons. First, I got most of my homework done, and it wasn't too painful. Second, I went to a symphony on Friday that was excellent. Primarily, however, my weekend was excellent because of a guy named Randy Harris. Randy Harris was one of my professors back at ACU, and he was possibly the best professor I ever had. There were a few who could compete with him, but he was probably the professor who influenced me the most. The strange thing is that he would have no idea who I was if he saw me or heard my name. I took his class for only one semester, and I hardly spoke the whole time. It was a freshman Bible couse, and I had little idea at that time what was going on in the things we were reading. But he convinced me that something was going on in the New Testament that I wanted to look at some more. He made all of that Christianity stuff seem appealing for the first time.

Anyway, back to the thing I was saying at first. Randy Harris made my weekend much better this weekend, not because I saw him, but because I heard him. I stumbled on a website that had a few of his sermons, and I spent the whole weekend listening to them. And he has a strange way of actually being able to speak the word of God. And the things he said hit me a few times. And I'm going to have to go and listen to them again. But there was Something to those sermons. They were painful, but they're going to change me. I'm not totally sure how, but they are. And I would recommend them: http://www.listentogod.net/randyharris.htm and http://www.wineskins.org/content.asp?CID=48101.

I'll probably post on these sermons a number of times in the future, but for now I'm just going to list one thing that he said. I'll put it out there for you and for myself. What it is is a list of things that Randy Harris says to himself every morning, and they set out a good way to live. Here's the list of things to say to oneself each morning at the mirror:

1. I'm going to be incompetant today.
2. I will be fully present today.
3. I will be the Christ today.
4. I will see the Christ in every person I meet today.

These aren't bad goals to set for oneself each day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home