Tuesday, July 05, 2005

Well, I've promised a friend that I'll post some links that I know of about the emergent church movement. I can't claim to know much. Last summer, I did a little research on it, but I've forgotten where I found most of my information, and the best website on the subject has now ceased to exist.

Anyway, most of what I know is from Brian McLaren's book A New Kind of Christian. It's not a bad book, but it's not going to win him a Nobel either. He wrote it in the dialogue format, sort of like Plato, but when one of the characters is named "Neo," you know it's not going to be on quite that same level. McLaren's trying to popularize this thought, and so he writes in a pretty simplistic style that's pretty annoying at times. The ideas are pretty intriguing though. I don't agree with everything, but it got me to thinking. Anyway, it is sort of the standard text for the emergent movement, along with McLaren's other books, and I'd definitely recommend it. McLaren also runs an excellent website. The question and answer section has a lot of interesting stuff. McLaren's an interesting fellow whose ministry I've followed a little bit. When Time magazine ranked its top 25 evangelicals, McLaren was one of the two or three I could stand (at least he doesn't advocate stoning people again, as one couples on that list (some of Bush's biggest financial backers of course) do).

The emergent church movement, being a bunch of pomos, also has a lot of roots (that's definitely the wrong word, but for lack of imagination, I'm leaving it) online. There are blogs and websites everywhere on the subject. THE OOZE is one of the better ones. Some others are Ginkworld, Emergent Village, The Portal, and EmergingChurch.Info. These sites can link you to others. I would list several blogs here, but you have to slog through a lot of stuff to find what you're looking for. I can provide those if you want.

The emerging church movement is also loosely linked to the networks of house churches out there. My internet will hardly do anything at the moment, so I’ll try to find a link to some of these later. Anyway, hopefully this will be helpful in you’re interested. Enjoy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home