Wednesday, July 20, 2005

Yesterday, my mother needed to get the tags renewed on our pickup. The office where you do this is right across the street from the office where Mom works—Williams Insurance Agency. So, Mom walked across the street to talk to the lady who gives you the new tags. This lady, we’ll say, is named June.

So anyway, Mom tells June what she needs and fills out the paperwork, and June tells Mom that all that is needed is the insurance agency’s confirmation that there is valid insurance on the truck. The thing is, Mom is the secretary at the insurance agency where that confirmation would come from, and Mom was the only person working there that day. Thus, the confirmation that there is insurance on our pickup could only come from Mom. Mom told June this (and June already knew that anyway). Mom said that, basically, she was Williams Insurance Agency, and that she knew there was a valid policy on the truck. But June, whose not quite the sharpest knife in the drawer, said, in all seriousness (though not rudely), “Well, when you go back to Williams Insurance Agency, just call me to confirm that there’s insurance on the truck, and then you can pick up the tags later.” My mother, being one of the nicer people on the planet (unfortunately, I took after Dad when it came to niceness), didn’t tell June that she wasn't thinking very well at the moment. Instead, my Mom walked across the street, called June to tell her that, yes, there was insurance on our pickup, and then walked back across the street and picked up the tags.

Are people only like this in Menard, or is this everywhere?

Labels:

3 Comments:

At 2:39 PM, Blogger Zetirix said...

Sadly that's how the world is... I'm just finding this out myself.

- Z

 
At 3:02 PM, Blogger Brian & Leslie Hailey said...

John, I just stumbled across your blog. I am also an ACU graduate who has returned to grad school even though I didn't plan to. Do you know anything about organic Christian community?

 
At 2:11 PM, Blogger John Pierce said...

Thanks to both of y'all for commenting here.

Brian, other than having heard that term, I'm afraid I don't know anything about the organic church. I see a lot of resources online about it (like www.organicchurch.net), and I'll definitely have to do a little reading about it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home