Friday, January 13, 2006

Well, today I get this voice message. From Cisco Junior College. I couldn't get ahold of them, but I'm pretty sure they're offering me a job. I'm sort of split between being excited and being scared. On the one hand, it would be an interesting experience, particularly if I'm getting to teach a literature course or two. On the other hand, even though I have sort of taught three college classes, I've not exactly had my own class. The Tech people were sort of guiding our hands, and I've not had experience coming up with my own courses. Still, I think it could be fun, and it would be an opportunity I can't really pass up.

I think the funnest thing about it is thinking what literature I would teach in a freshman literature course. I would have room for about two short novels, two plays, several short stories, and a lot of poemts. At the moment, I'm thinking The Princess Bride for one of the novels and maybe either The Moviegoer or The Color Purple or The Assistant as the other. The Color Purple might be interesting since there's so much wrong with the novel. For plays, I would do Shaw's "Arms and the Man" and Shakespeare's "King Lear."

We'll see though.

1 Comments:

At 1:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like an awesome opportunity. Personally, I would move away from the Color Purple. You might drive students away from literature for the rest of their lives.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home