Friday, June 30, 2006

Not Perfect Yet

I noticed today that there are a few habits I have that I need to change.

The first bad habit is that I constantly carry my keys in my right hand when I'm walking. I throw them or swing them or do something else with them. I have them in my hand, and I play with them.

The second bad habit is that I keep my glasses pretty loose on my head for comfort. As a result, they're allowed to slip down on my nose. Once they go too far, I have to push them back up. I tend to use my right hand for that task, too (I use the nearly useless right hand for the minor tasks it's supposed to be able to handle. The left hand would never cause trouble).

Ok, now these may seem a little innocuous to you. And separately, they are. But when you combine them, number three happens.

Number three. Because I always have my keys in my right hand when I push my glasses up with that same hand, my hand is in sort of an odd position. I'm having to keep holding the keys, and so I tend to push the glasses up using my middle finger. After years of going through these motions, I've sort of trained myself to only push my glasses up using that finger.

This is a bad thing. This means that whenever I walk anywhere, my glasses keep slipping down, and I keep pusshing them up and, in the process, giving everybody the bird.

I realized this little problem today while leaving the mall. There were some littlish kids sitting on a bench being silly. They were waving at everyone who left the mall exaggeratedly and yelling hello. They waved at me and said, "Hi!" I was trying to be friendly, and I said "Hello" back, very cheerfully. But at the same time, of course, I was pushing my glasses back up.

The kids, old enough to have an idea of what that finger meant, were immediately sort of subdued. They seemed a little confused by the rather mixed message I had just sent. Those poor kids will likely be confused for the rest of their lives.

So anyway, I need to learn to stop flipping everyone off I guess.

1 Comments:

At 12:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

*laughter* Thats hysterical. It's the littlest habits that are the hardest to break. Good luck. At least you don't flip people off in church without thinking about it like I did to Bj last Sunday. YOU have an excuse.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home