Friday, March 02, 2007

A Ginger Andrews Poem

Prayer

God bless the chick in Alaska
who took in my sister’s ex,
an abusive alcoholic hunk.
Bless all borderline brainless ex-cheerleaders
with long blonde hair, boobs,
and waists no bigger around than a coke bottle
who’ve broken up somebody else’s home.
Forgive my thrill
should they put on seventy-five pounds,
develop stretch marks, spider veins,
and suffer through endless days of deep depression.


Bless those who remarry on the rebound.
Bless me and all my sisters;
the ball and chain baggage we carried into our second marriages.
Bless my broken brother and his live-in.
Grand him SSI. Consider
how the deeper the wounds in my family,
the funnier we’ve become.
Bless those who’ve learned to laugh at what’s longed for.
Keep us from becoming hilarious.
Bless our children.
Bless all our ex’s,
and bless the fat chick in Alaska.

Labels:

3 Comments:

At 12:48 PM, Blogger KM said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 12:50 PM, Blogger KM said...

For some reason, J, I'm connecting most with the line "Bless those who've learned to laugh at what's longed for. / Keep us from becoming hilarious." That was great. Thanks for posting it.

[re above... "oops." ;-)]

 
At 7:04 PM, Blogger John Pierce said...

I'd agree. Those two lines are the reason I posted this piece I think.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home