Sunday, August 28, 2005

At Least I Got Something to Talk About

Yeah, I'm a pretty quiet guy when I'm in a school setting, and it seems like a fairly daunting task to fill up an hour and a half each class period. I do think I have most of the first day thought out though (Do pray for me on this if you will. My first class I teach is Tuesday at eleven.)

I've spent a good deal of time thinking about what question I would ask my students on the first day. You know, the first day of class, everyone tells the class their name, major, hometown, and then the teacher asks some sort of question to get things started. What is your most embarrassing moment? What is the worst food you've ever eaten? What do you want to be when you grow up? etc.

I've been debating about whether I'd ask a goofy question or a serious one. I decided on both.

Last week, at orientation, I heard two questions that I liked better than the ones I had already thought up, and so I'm going to use them. They don't go together at all, but who cares? I have all the power in my classroom, and I can do that if I want.

The questions: "What is your the embarrassing cd or movie in your collection? And what is your favorite?" and "What was the last piece of advice your parents gave you before they left you here?"

The goal: I'm hoping something funny will happen with the movie/cd questions. That seems to be a question that might interest them or tell me a little something about them. The second question could also be funny, but I plan to use it. I think I can turn it into the discussion about their responsibilities in the classroom pretty easily, and that's my goal for the class period. It'll start out fairly light, but in the end, I'm out to scare them on Tuesday. It'll do 'em some good.

And just in case you wanted to know my answers to those questions, here they are.

What is the most embarrassing movie in my collection?
It kind of scared me how excited I got at the extra feature on my special edition Beauty and the Beast DVD that told me what character from the movie I am most like. (It's Belle by the way.)

And my favorite movie? Believe it or not, my favorite film is Kill Bill Vol. 2. It's not my usual tastes, but I can't help but love it.

What is the most embarrassing cd in my collection? The soundtrack to The Full Monty. No questions about this one please.

What is my favorite cd in my collection? I never thought anyone would eclipse James Taylor, but it has happened. My favorite album that I now own is The Collection by Jennifer Knapp. And "Martyrs and Thieves" is my favorite song.

What was the last piece of advice my parents gave me before leaving me at Tech? My Dad: "Look both ways crossing the streeet."

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home