Monday, September 17, 2007

Reminders #32 & 33 (A Sadly Short Time Since My Last Reminder)

I guess I'm one of those people who just doesn't live entirely in the world. This isn't to say that I'm some kind of holy person. No, I'm just occasionally a stupid one. Quite often, my mind is just not very close to where I happen to be.

For instance, tonight I was fixing myself a frozen pizza for supper. This should be a rather simple task. At the same time, though, I was trying to figure out what to do in my classes since I'd just learned that I'm probably going to be out of town on Wednesday, covering for a teacher who was going to be taking her class on a field trip but who got sick. Anyway, explaining (in your mind) to your class the new schedule for the week, it turns out, rather hurts one's ability to prepare your pizza.

I was trying to perform the extremely complex task of putting two pieces of the already cooked and cut pizza on a plate. I grabbed a plate and started using the spatula to place it on the plate. I was still hanging around in my classroom, though, and so it took me a few moments to discover that things weren't going very well. So I, unconsciously, tried harder to get the pizza onto the plate, but it just wouldn't fit inside. That "inside" eventually became the impetus for my reentry into reality. There, obviously it now seems, is no "inside" to a plate.

I'd grabbed a plastic cup it turns out, rather than a plate. It's difficult to maneuver your spatula so that you're neatly putting pizza into a plastic cup. That's also probably not the best way to serve pizza.

Which is something worth remembering.

Reminder #32
Don't eat pizza out of a cup.

Reminder #33
Be here.

2 Comments:

At 12:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh, i do things like that. i once ran across my apt with a boiling pot of macaroni noodles to answer the phone, forgot that i was holding the pot, and ended up pouring hot noodles and water on my bed. it was a wrong number.

i've also frozen a jar of pickles and left ice cream in the fridge. that was an ill-fated shopping excursion, and the cleanup was unreal.

guess i need this reminder too.

'mira

 
At 8:36 PM, Blogger KM said...

Ah John.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home