Wednesday, February 09, 2005

One of those days.

For that last few nights, I had been sleeping really restlessly and had been alternating between hot and cold during the night. It was pretty evident that I was getting sick, but I tried to head it off with extra sleep. It didn't work. Last night, I became absolutely miserable. My fever sky-rocketed, I had chills, I had aches, my throat hurt a bit, and I had the worst headache I've ever had (I rarely have them, but when I do...). Anyway, when I woke up, it was evident that I couldn't go to school, even if my professors' attendence policies on their syllabuses (syllabi?) literally state, "Don't miss class." I slept as long as I could, and then, I got up to try to find a walk-in clinic in Lubbock. The ones in the phone book were either too far away (I was too dizzy to drive far) or weren't actually called walk-in clinics (which confused me). I finally found a clinic on the Internet (it wasn't in the yellow pages) that was close enough for me to drive to. I drank some water and walked around until I wasn't dizzy, and then I left.

That's when I found the slowest clinic I've ever seen and the slowest pharmacy. It took about thirty minutes for me to fill out the paperwork (that was normal). Then, it took thirty minutes to get into the doctors office (even though the place wasn't busy at all). Then, the nurse (a really sweet lady) came and did all the normal stuff. Then, the doctor came in for less than 3 minutes. Then, they left me in the room for 30 minutes. I don't know what they were doing, but I was in the patient's room for about and hour and twenty minutes. Eventually, the nurse came back to tell me that I had strep throat. She gave me a superdose of Tylenol to break my (nearly 103) fever. Then, I got my presciptions, school notes, and I left. I went over to Wal-Mart to fill the prescription. The doctor had told me to eat, so while I was waiting the 30 minutes for my prescription to be filled, I ate. Eventually, I went back to pick up the prescription, about 10 minutes after they guaranteed it would be ready. It wasn't ready. Neither were the prescriptions of the other 10 customers that I saw them wait on. It took them an hour and fifteen minutes to fill my prescription (and there were people still waiting who had dropped off the prescription before I had). During that time, my fever had broken, and so I just stood there drenched for about 40 minutes.

I went home, and I slept all afternoon. I now feel better than I did. I'm still not going to school tomorrow.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home