Monday, August 28, 2006

Back to School

Last week, I was at the orientation thingy for adjunct instructors over at HSU. Everything had gone extremely smoothly. I was feeling all nice and prepared. Things were going swell-ly.

And then, I heard one of the more shocking things of my life that changed it all.

"Oh yeah, I forgot to mention it. The dress code. Y'all know that noone's allowed to wear denim don't y'all."

No, I did not.

No denim.

The problem is this. I don't really own anything but denim. Denim, for me, is dressing up. When I was teaching up at Tech, I wore a shirt with a nice collar on it the first day of class, and after that, I wore whatever. I taught in shorts and t-shirts and sweat shirts and I wore my cap. I often came to class looking stoned after staying up all night for the second or third night in a row of writing without having bathed or eaten for several fortnights. It hadn't mattered much. I had resolved already at HSU that I was going to wear jeans, and then they were out.

So it goes.

I have now assembled something of a presentable wardrobe. Three pairs of non-denim pantaloons. Shirts with collars (85% of which are blue).

I am going to wear my tennie shoes though.

1 Comments:

At 10:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your such a girl!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home