Wednesday, August 09, 2006


I saw Al Gore's film An Inconvenient Truth a while back. It was pretty scary. It was hopeful, too, but definitely scary. And well worth watching.

There were several really impressive things about it. First, I've looked for decent refutations of the arguments made in the film, and I just can't find them (Glenn Beck (who's even more stupid than Nancy Grace) comparing Gore to Hitler just doesn't quite cut it for me). Second, Gore addressed all of the normal arguments against the reality of global warming (i.e. that the earth goes through natural warming and cooling cycles, that scientists don't unanimously agree on global warming, and that things wouldn't really change that much) very, very strongly it seemed to me. Third, Gore himself was impressive. He typically seems so stiff and withdrawn. Not so, however, in this film. Somehow, he conveyed his humanity and sincerity.

Anyway, I recommend this.

Labels:

1 Comments:

At 11:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's funny that you're reccomending this today, because Heath and I went and watched it yesterday. We loved it, and have been talking about it on and off all day today. I second everything you just said here.

Miss you. Hope you're doing well.
Em

 

Post a Comment

<< Home