Friday, January 11, 2008

Return

Ok, it’s time to reenter the world of blogging. I’m not quite sure why I left, why I do that sometimes. So it goes.

Reminder #34

I have a blog.

I do have a theory, I guess, about why I haven’t blogged in a while. I do have a (sometimes broken) rule against blogging about my job (other than really harmless stuff). I think since I moved to Winters that my life is pretty much my job and only my job. Blogging suffers in such a circumstance.

Not that I’ve lacked for material, but I have lacked for material that I’m actually going to use.

I assure you that life has been fine, though, during this time. It really has been.

So, I’m in Winters, teaching and library-ing in the Winters High School. I’ve got two classes, and I can’t imagine how the other teachers handle seven of them. I’m overloaded. Granted, it works out that I’ve pretty much been hired for an easy, but definitely full-time job (librarian), plus the extra teaching stuff that I don’t get paid any extra for. Plus sponsoring some school events, etc. They’re getting their money’s worth. I moved to a place where nothing happens (even less than in Abilene), and I’m as busy as I was up in Lubbock.

So it goes. I guess that’s about how it will always go.

But I like it. I didn’t think I would. High school just didn’t sound right. And a small town again…

But, I’ve got the best students I’ve ever had. They’re all sixteen and seventeen, but since they’re the dual-credit students, they are, without doubt, smarter than the kids I had in college (or just as smart as the very top ones there). And I love that you actually get to know them in high school. I see them every day, and they’re neat people.

And the school’s alright. I think I’m sort of an oddball to the people there. But I’m pretty sure they like me. At least most of them.

And I can survive the town. It’s a little strange that the people closest in age to me are the students. I’m getting pretty used to this though. Menard trained me well for living in weird little places. It feels like home.

6 Comments:

At 5:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh hey, i drove through there on my way back to dirt town. i should have stopped and said hi, huh?

glad you're back/live-and-well.

'mira

 
At 11:50 PM, Blogger Kalyn Gensic said...

It's good to see you blogging. Yay for the happy times.

 
At 12:02 PM, Blogger John Pierce said...

Hey 'mira,

Definitely stop by next time on your way through. I'm only about a block off the main street--easy to find. And I'm not doing anything I can't find a way to put off.

 
At 4:14 PM, Blogger Kayla said...

Glad you've re-entered the blogging world! I checked your blog every few days for an update and was sorely disappointed each time.

 
At 4:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

John,
I am Kayla's Aunt Katina. I am VERY thankful you have re-entered the blog world. I missed you....I love reading your blogs. I just graduated from UTD with a degree in Lit Studies and an 8-12 ELAR certification. I've decided I would like to be a school librarian, though, so I am starting the process to get my graduate degree from UNT in library science. How do you find school librarianship? I am interested to talk to people who are actually doing the job that I think I want!! Katina Jones

 
At 11:33 PM, Blogger John Pierce said...

Hello Katina,
Wow. I'm sorry I hadn't responded to your comment. I somehow totally missed seeing it.

Anyway, I'm glad you're a reader, despite my not being a very consistent writer.

And feel free to contact me if you have any questions about school librarianshipness (that'll work). I'd be glad to get back to you, and if I don't know an answer to something, I do know a lot of people I could refer you to who know everything about it.

john.pierce@wintersisd.org

 

Post a Comment

<< Home