Thursday, February 14, 2008

Lent

I gave up coke for lent (not the illegal kind, fyi). That's sort of normal, I guess, but man is it hard.

This is like the ninth day of Lent, and I think I've messed up five days (maybe just four--I can't quite remember). Anyway, I guess lent is supposed to make you more thankful for the things you normally have and is also supposed to help you work on your ability to discipline yourself.

My problem with coke, though, isn't so much a matter of willpower. I could stop myself from drinking coke--if I could just remember to.

That's the problem. I'm in such a routine of Coke drinking that I just go buy the coke at my normal
times and drink it. And then I remember that I wasn't supposed to do so.

So it goes.

So, I guess that's another value of Lent, even though I'm not succeeding particularly at it. Lent helps you to be less of an idiot.

3 Comments:

At 8:24 AM, Blogger Kalyn Gensic said...

at least you remember to give up something for lent. i totally forgot about lent until it was too late and i had done all sorts of decadent things that couldn't be undone.

 
At 11:30 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I gave up caffeine last year because I also drink too much pepsi, and I gave up online journaling in an attempt to be more introspective. Sadly, I then spent about 40 days mentally comatose, much too drowsy to write anything.

*Grin* Actually I thought the blogging thing would kill me and the caffeine would be no problem. Turns out by Easter I had cured my blogging urges and was about ready to kill for a coke. *hugs* Good luck with your endeavors!

 
At 4:52 PM, Blogger Emily said...

Thanks for the birthday wishes! Nope, I haven't read Gilead yet, although it's on my list. :) In other news, I've decided to give up reading anything that boasts "Oprah's book club." So far, every one I've read has been super depressing and mildly horrifying.

Out of curiosity, do you base your rating on much you liked the book, or how well-written you think it is? Or is it a combination of both? I was torn in this decision.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home