Friday, February 15, 2008

A Teaching Tale

One thing I've discovered this year is that my sense of humor never quite progressed out of high school.

This is fortunate at the moment, since I'm back in high school. I guarantee you that my students currently think I'm funnier than pretty much anyone else has ever considered me (perhaps that doesn't say much, but it says something). They definitely consider me a lot funnier than my college students ever did. Even my best jokes there could only get, at best, about two students in the room to wake up.

Anyway, an example of my high school (or pre-high school) sense of humor at work:

(I hope this doesn't get me in any trouble.)

I overhear one student making fun of another one struggling to read aloud a passage of poetry: "You can't read crap!"

My response: "Yes you can read crap. It just depends on what shape it's in.......It probably helps sometimes if you know Braille........And if you believe in yourself."

Well, they laughed. Maybe someday I can teach them to know better.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home