Tuesday, January 18, 2005

Thank God for ADD...

...at least in my friends. You see, one of the problems with blogging is that it's public. That's also a great benefit. In fact, there's no way I would keep up with any sort of journal if there wasn't an audience involved (other than myself). But the public nature of a blog has one big problem--it's difficult to complain. At least it's difficult to complain about people that you know may someday read your blog. But that's when I thank God for the ADD of my friends.

You see, when I created my blog I mentioned it to some of my friends and family, and a few of them actually went to read it. But they all came back with one big complaint. They couldn't read such long entries. Did I actually expect their attention spans to be long enough for them to read more than one paragraph (they didn't say this second comment in so many words, but I heard it anyway)? Anyway, their inability to read a long blog entry gives me a lot of freedom in my blogging.

I mean, this is the third paragraph, and I can basically say anything I want here. Those two white spaces that mark the beginning of each new paragraph appear as two great grand canyons to my friends. So, as long as I've written at least one paragraph for them to scan and a second paragraph for them to die in, I can write in this third paragraph anything I want about them, and they'll never read it. I can say about how annoying and stupid all of my friends are. I can gossip about them and complain about their frustrating habits, and they'll never get this far into my blog to actually read it. It will be even more gratifying to write these sorts of things because all of my true opinions about them will be right there for them to read if only their mind could handle the lack of flashing, shiny, moving things through two paragraphs.

So I thank God for my friends ADD. I've been given the freedom to write whatever I want, and I don't have to worry about anybody reading it (except maybe my sister, but she doesn't count--I tell any complaints and insults about her to her face).

3 Comments:

At 10:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bro,
I guess I appreciate your honesty. Thank you for singling me out as one of your only aquiantances who isn't a victim of ADD. And yes, I have read every word of every entry.

 
At 2:06 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry John, I tend to read whole documents also. So, you'll try to have to weed me out by the fifth or sixth paragraph. Good luck. -BJ

 
At 12:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You think you're soooo clever! Well, I'll have you know that I never stop reading halfway through. I sometimes get behind and have to read two or three entries in one day, but so far I've read every line of every one. So, you can talk bad about all of your other lame friends, but not me!! : ) Kayla
P.S. You should call our room sometime. We miss you!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home