Tuesday, August 29, 2006

First Days of School: The Pierce Curse Is Back

I survived the first two days of school. There were a couple of moments, though, in which I thought that I might not make it through.

Day One

First of all, I'm used to English majors. It, frankly, is going to take me a little while to get used to all of the Bible majors, though I'm sure it will happen, and will be good. But for now...

What happened is this. I was in my first class, Introduction to the Old Testament. We were supposed to talk to the person next to us for exactly four minutes and tell them about yourself and include a meaningful experience from the last summer. Then, that person was going to introduce us to the rest of the class.

So, I talked to the fellow next to me. I couldn't think of much of anything that I wanted to be told to forty strangers, so I said that I'd made the final decision to come back to grad school at ACU. He asked why I'd done it. I told him that there were a lot of reasons for my decision. I explained to him some of them, one being something that I did a post on back in January. That is, I told him, I had sensed in my freshman students back at Tech that their primary obstacle to learning (which is what I was concerned about) was a tragic vacuum of meaning. They had no sense of truth or of any sense that it should or could be pursued at all. The most they could imagine of gaining from their educations was a higher paycheck. I, therefore, felt that there was little use in teaching language until they had could grasp a larger meaning for their presences in the classroom. I basically told the grad student that, in almost exactly those words. I was here, in part to learn how to convey a sense of meaning to people.

So, we got to the introductions, and the guy who was introducing me told my little introduction like this: "John did his undergrad at ACU and did a Masters at Texas Tech. While he was there, he learned that his students knew everything already about language. What they didn't know about, he found, was they didn't know their savior Jesus Christ. So he's here."

I cringed and cringed and cringed. I would have curled up in the fetal position from the pain, except that I had to introduce him, which I did very quickly so that maybe, I hoped, people would forget the introduction of me. That was really one of the more painful moments of my life. I'm overly sensitive, I'm afraid, to sentimentalism, and that was some dang powerful sentimentalism that this fellow put in my mouth. It did not taste good. The professor gave me a funny look.

I also found out that I'm 170+ pages behind in reading for that class. Not that anybody could have been caught up. The professor in there assigned reading for the first day of class, even though nobody was going to get the syllabus until that day. We'll just have to make it up.

Day Two

I had to wake up at 7:00. I'm no good that early in the morning, so I've always avoided 8:00 classes. I couldn't avoid one this year though. Despite being too sick to eat anything that early, though, that class went ok.

Except that I'm about 50 pages behind in there. Same trick as the first professor.

It was the next class, Greek, that really got me. Evidently, three weeks ago, this professor sent out an email to the class, saying that we should memorize the Greek alphabet and pronunciation and read the first chapter of our book by the first day of class.

Guess who never got this email. Me, of course. There were several people who never had gotten the email, but most of the others had had Greek as undergrads, and so they remembered the alphabet, if nothing else. I, of course, had never seen a Greek alphabet. It was sort of difficult to write my memorized Greek alphabet on the board in front of everyone not having ever seen it. That sucked.

All in all, though, the first two days of classes didn't go as badly as I had expected. That's the great thing about being a pessimist, I guess. I think I'll survive, just barely.

Labels:

7 Comments:

At 9:08 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"What they didn't know about, he found, was they didn't know their savior Jesus Christ. So he's here."

I am cringing for you. *hug* That guy isn't going into biblical translation or anything is he? 'Cause I could see some serious problems there.

 
At 12:49 PM, Blogger Kayla said...

Wow. That's rough. I am experiencing my first Bible major class, also. Prophetic Literature of the Old Testament. I was surprised to walk in and find almost all guys; I'm so used to English classes, which are female-dominated. I believe I might be the only non-major in that class. They kind of all act like they have this little club. I guess it's like that in any major, but it seemed worse in Bible. Plus, they all talked the whole time Dr. Willis was explaining the syllabus. I thought, "You guys are going to be ministers! That's scary." Oh, well, at least we can feel content in our superiority as English majors : ) (and left-handed ones, at that!)

 
At 9:27 PM, Blogger Rehkmira said...

Ow ow ow oooww. I hurt right along with you. That isn't at all what you said. And I'm afraid that, knowing your students, they most certainly did not know everything (or even most things) about language. I'm so sorry.

Unfortunately, there was no graceful way out of that first impression that you could have engineered, that I can see at least.

Good luck.

'Mira

 
At 5:11 PM, Blogger KM said...

Oodles of empathy, John. I have all confidence that you'll imbibe the Gk alphabet without too much trouble, but I am a little concerned about your long-term sanity if those are the kinds of guys you're gonna be around for the next few years! We're still here for ya... so keep in touch! ;-)

Oh, and sorry to hear about the denim... I had the same sort of shock when I first moved to Jamaica. At that time, though, it was "ladies do not wear trousers on campus. Or shorts. Or flip-flops." Which was a total nightmare in tropical weather, what with flash rainstorms, mosquitoes, and/or copious sunshine... Eventually, though, I got over it, and so did they by the time I left.

You'll be fine! Think of it all as material for your autobiography. And if that doesn't work, tell yourself, "Shut up. It's character-building." (The second option worked for me yesterday!) :-D

Bless you,
-- KM

 
At 10:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just because the wind blows strongly, does not mean that someone farted a month ago on the other side of the world...

 
At 10:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What, did you think studying about God would...teach you about God? Hah! You silly boy. Welcome to Hell. Then again...I might be a little bitter having just gone through it myself. And on behalf of all people who have studied theology, we have all been made dumber by your new friend wasting his breath. I feel sick to my stomach.

 
At 3:32 PM, Blogger Kalyn Gensic said...

Write a post.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home